September 15, 2012

Going From XXXXL to Medium Size Shirt

Shawn Before Losing 140 pounds
At 205 pounds (after losing 140 pounds)

Shawn used to wear an XXXXL (4XL) shirt but now wears a medium size shirt. He's lost 140 pounds. It took him just six months to lose the first one hundred pounds. Another thirty pounds got pounded away by the end of the first year - in Janurary 2010. He got down to under two hundred pounds at one point soon after but is now wavering at a pretty happy 220 or so..

Shawn lost his weight by counting calories. He allows himself cheat days and junk food on a regular basis but says the key is to keep within your calories for most days. His exercise of choice is basketball and the gym.

He started a blog - 344Pounds.com - when he first set out to lose the weight. He sent the 'before' pic and link to all his friends and relatives. This was embarrassing for him but he felt it would be pivotal in motivating him to stick to his goal.

Check out his site, he has some very inspiring posts including some great before and after pics and his first year weekly weight loss progress chart.

There are a lot of people who like to lose weight by counting calories. I've always thought this weight loss method appeals more to women than men. (Weight Watchers is based on this, and seems to be much more popular with women than men, see some success stories on this site about Weight Watchers...) My personal opinion is that whether this is a successful long-term strategy depends a lot on the type of personality you have. For example, in my case, I'm too much of a rebel type, I could never stick to this kind of detailed regiment of watching my calorie consumption all the time. I also think you'd be much more prone to experience hunger and discomfort if you are keeping to your calorie count, but it is based on foods that are not filling and nutritional. My personal preferred route is just to stick to exceptionally healthy foods most of the time. I believe you can eat a great deal of deliciously cooked vegetables, beans and brown rice, never feel hungry and consistently lose weight. I'm the type who would much rather educate myself on the healthiest foods and focus on eating those rather than on counting calories. (See some great info about healthy food here. )

But different methods work better for different people. Congrats to Shawn! Please visit his site.

17 comments:

Tammie Grey said...

That's an amazing transformation. Congratulations

Emilio López said...

What a great transformation! It doesn't even look like the same person!!!

Congratulations Shawn I hope I can manege that kind of success you do!!

EMILIO!

adipexinfo said...

Amazing!I've never saw this much transformation.Are you following some specific diet plan or so as you suggest healthiest foods are one of reason for this change.Well whatever would it be i wish you lot of congrats.

Anonymous said...

I had trouble loosing weight too. but finally i found the system that helped me and my friends. Get free info at this site http://bestofjana.tophealthproductsreview.com/

Jay & Claudia said...

Thanks for posting these. I've decided to try his approach and at least commit myself publicly to trying to lose the weight. My weight loss blog is at www.onefatguyslife.com. Thanks for being an inspiration for me.

Susanne said...

Wow! Reading all of your stories is really getting me inspired for the weightloss i have ahead of me (55 pounds according to my doctor). I am combining calorie counting with hard exercise. Someone recommended muscle confusion by www.beachbody.co.uk. Does anyone know if it´s any good? I spent the whole summer avoiding the beach because it´s embarassing, but i´m hoping to shed the pounds and get sunbathing next year...!

review of fat loss factor said...

I am the author and blogger of a blog which teaches others easy ways to lose weight fast. From my knowledge, I believe the crux to his success lies in the sending of his 'embarrassing' before photos to his family and friends. This should have given him the strong motivation to change his life forever, and he did it! Usually, it is only when we are held accountable, that we achieve our goals.\

Fantastic motivation and transformation, congrats to Shawn!

Hamilton Dietetics said...

Fantastic blog really!
Please also read these articles, I think you'll like them.
http://www.hamiltondietetics.com

Anonymous said...

Well done. Your looking great

Over Weight said...

I'll do it... Almost that... That's a great example!

I wish i won't lose my strengh...

Xander said...

You're lucky, but I'm not. I had elected to go under the knife. Though the result is very satisfactory it cost me a lot of money and weeks of pain. I didn't take pictures because I felt so disgusting. Looks good now, anyway. But you deserve a lot of kudos.

Nica Santos said...

Wow, this is great! Kudos to Shawn! 140lbs in 6 months! Counting calories looks like a good strategy to lose weight.

I've stumbled upon Xenical's website in the Philippines featuring weight loss stories too but it's not as big as Shawn's 140lbs! Tara Cagadoc lost 22 lbs in 34 months. 132 to 110! - http://www.newyou.com.ph/?p=4604

natural weight loss health said...

I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.

Healthy Loser said...

I love your transformation and all the comments from the other bloggers. I tend to think breakfast or lunch should be your main meal and definitely eat light for supper but it is very hard to resist a large meal for supper. I have no trouble eating light on the day meals but my craves become worse at night. I have found that I end up eating light or protein shakes for the first two meals and then eat a good protein for supper and avoid carbs and fats other than the meat or whatever I eat for my high protein supper. When I eat a light supper, I find myself eating something I regret if I haven’t filled that crave with some high protein.
One of the bloggers mentioned that 10 lbs per week is maybe not healthy. I believe if you get all your needed nutrients and do it healthy you can lose the weight as fast as you want and still do it healthy. I lost 85 lbs in 3 months and did it healthy while being monitered by my doctor and was very happy to get the weight off to give me the incentive to keep it off.
My success story came from joining a weight loss contest where $5,000 cash was up for grabs. I didnt win but the competition gave me the boost to lose the weight. Since then I have organized my own contests, about 3 per year where people have a chance at $5,000 competing only with 100 to 300 contestants and have seen great success for lots who join. You can visit my success story at http://www.healthyloser.com/Healthy_Weight_Loss.html I love sharing it and am very proud of my success.

weight loss success stories said...

Thanks for posting these. I've decided to try his approach and at least commit myself publicly to trying to lose the weight. My weight loss blog is at www.onefatguyslife.com. Thanks for being an inspiration for me.

Peta-Gaye Drummond said...

What an awesome story! Congratulations you have inspired me to continue my journey to a healthier me.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what he did with his [excess] skin flaps.