August 29, 2012

Losing Pain and 60 Pounds




Congrats to Teri who lost sixty pounds seven years ago and has maintained this weight loss since then. 

She says she used to be a yo-yo dieter all her life and had tried many diets. 

"I had a stressful career, and my position required excessive travel.  I was home on average of three days a month, and mostly I wined and dined for a living (sounds tough, doesn't it?).  When the weight creeps on at five pounds a year, it doesn't seem so bad.  At least not until the 10th year.....


My life as I knew it came to a halt when a suicidal deer ran into the side of my car in November 2004.  I had severe neck and back injuries, and spent the next four months in either my bed or a hospital bed.  Between the myriad of medications and the desire for only "odorless, silent comfort food", that catered pity-party was good for another 10-20 pounds.

When I was finally out of bed, I had the restriction of only being allowed to drive one mile round trip. There was a Weight Watchers meeting 1/4 mile from my house. The Saturday morning I went, I sat in the parking lot and watched the people go into the Church, and watched them come out. I didn't get out of the car. The next week, I went in and joined. That was in April of 2005.

I'd love to say my journey was effortless, without a speed bump or detour, but not true. The first eight months were great - I think I had a loss most every week, and in nine months I had lost 45 pounds. Then I hit a plateau (or was it a mesa), and I did the +.2, -.2 shuffle for the next 3 months.  

As frustrating as that was, I kept trying to remind myself that this was the way I was going to be eating for the rest of my life, and chose to view it as "premature maintenance".  The real issue was that I was unable to exercise (I was barely able to move).  

My doctor sent me for Aquatic Physical Therapy, which over time evolved into water-walking, then water aerobics.  I talk about it in Let's Get Physical Once I started to exercise, I didn't lose that much more weight, but I lost three sizes!  As I've been known to say to my members, "items in the overhead shift during flight", and I was thrilled to put some of my "items" back where they belonged.

I hit my goal in June of 2006 and Lifetime in August. I was ecstatic. I was a different person. I was in a lot less pain (and I attribute that to not carrying the weight equivalent of a 7-year-old on my back and neck every day).  What I didn't know then was that I had not only lost 60 pounds, but I would be looking back seven years later and not have found it again."

Thanks much to Teri for this very inspiring story! She has since become a Weight Watchers leader and finds it the most rewarding job she's ever had. See her blog at Weight Weight Don't Tell Me

6 comments:

Marckys said...

Good job on your weight loss. A healthy lifestyle is definitely a good lifestyle to have. Do you have any good tips to share on how you lost weight or how you maintain your weight now?

www.marckys.com

Teri said...

I lost my weight with Weight Watchers (I loved having a healthy program to follow, and my personality was well suited to the whole Points structure). I maintain my loss very much the same way I lost it. Portion control, healthier choices, moving more and using the tools that got me to goal. You can read much more about it on my Blog www.wwdtme.com that has helpful posts and recipes.

Jessica Thomas said...

Congrats to Teri on her weight loss and thanks for sharing her story. The best part that attracted me is that ''she has maintained this weight loss since then''. I know how hard is it to lose weight and its more harder to maintain this weight loss after wards.
fat loss diet

Anonymous said...

I read your weight loss stories and I think that are very useful for me. Thank you for your words.

Hamilton Dietetics said...

10 Weight Loss Tips

These weight loss tips will be most effective for those who gained few additional kilos after an improper diet plan.

1. All dieticians advise to take as many fruits and vegetable as you can. They contain all vitamins, antioxidants and fibers which your body needs. Eating a lot of greens is the most natural and easy way to get rid of some fat and to make your lifestyle healthier.

2. You can eat fresh fruits like a general meal but it will be even better if you will take them between mealtimes. It helps to regulate sugar level and reduce your craving to eat something.

3. Fresh vegetables must be in your each lunch and dinner. Also, do not mix proteins (meat, beans) with starch (potato, pasta) in on meal.

4. Meat must be less that 4 to 5 servings a week. When we say meat, we also mean fish and poultry. There are a lot of very tasty vegetarian dishes too!

5. Start gradually to replace meat with legumes. It can be beans, lentils, peas. Plant protein is very healthy way to change your nutrition for good.

6. Drinking liquids while eating is the worst habit ever! If you feel very thirsty drink something (better just plain water) after 10 minutes.

7. Your daily consumption of calories must be well-balanced. It means that you cannot reduce your meal in a big level. Do everything gradually and also keep in mind that it’s better to have 5 or 6 small light meals throughout the day that to have 3 big meal a day and to starve between them.

8. There are some “hidden” calories that can enormously add up our weight when we are not even aware of it. They are pop, cream, juices with sugar or sugar in our tea or coffee. Try to avoid them, using instead at least 8 glasses of water to balance hydration of our body.

9. Of course, you must exercise in regular basis! Even 30 minutes a day is enough to feel better and give your body nice training.

10. Alcohol must be cut because it is very rich in calories which are very “light” in becoming additional fat. Follow these weight loss tips and be happy!

More tips at: http://www.hamiltondietetics.com

Teri said...

I'm glad to hear the some of you have read my Blog and find it useful. Be sure to check back often, since there are new posts and recipes several times a week. You can subscribe to the Blog and receive emails of posts when they are added by entering your email address in the toolbar on the right.

As for the nutrition tips, I can't disagree. One of the beauties of Weight Watchers is that all dietary restrictions or preferences can fit into the Points system. My husband is primarily vegetarian/vegan, so much of my protein is plant based.

I try not to have too many "rules" around how many times a week to eat something, or eliminating too many foods we like. Finding ways to fit in the things we like (perhaps in smaller portions or less frequency) is what makes this a "lifestyle" rather than a "diet".

If someone told me I could never have another glass of wine, or would have to severely limit my intake, I doubt I'd have been as successful as I've been. My personal mantra is "will work out for wine". I have to EARN it by working out.

Thanks to all for their comments.

Teri