July 12, 2012

Teen Loses 100 Pounds in Ten Months

Charles before weight loss
Charles after weight loss
Charles is a teenager, age 16, who became determined to lose weight 14 months ago. At that point he weighed 285 pounds. Within ten months of starting, he had succeeded in losing 100 pounds! Three months later he had lost another 15 pounds to reach his goal weight of 170 pounds. (He is 6'0 tall.)

Charles did this with amazing tenacity and has completely changed his life around. Here is his hugely inspiring story;

Since the age of five, I loved chicken nuggets, fries, pizza and Chinese food. My love for fast foods and large portions were two of the most significant factors that impacted my weight drastically.

I didn't want to listen to my parent’s concern for me to eat healthy foods. Almost everyday, I desired fried foods that were high in calories and fats. When going to restaurants, I would only order foods such as pepperoni pizza, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and cheeseburgers without even glancing at the other options on the menu. I also led a sedentary life and played video games or on the computer. I was gaining huge amounts of weight per year. 

In May 2011, I went to the doctor for my physical and my weight had peaked at its highest – 285 pounds! My doctor explained to me that if I didn't do something about my weight, I would have an increased chance of developing heart disease and diabetes later in life, as well as a decreased life expectancy. My mother had diabetes and took insulin 4 times a day. My grandfather had died from atherosclerosis.

I ran out of breath while walking up the steps and during physical education, always came in last, which resulted in taunts from others. Also, I could never wear “cool” clothes for kids my age, and had to wear men’s XXL shirts and huge baggy pants. I was ashamed to be seen in public. In school, I was degraded and ridiculed with hurtful comments and jeers from students. This lowered my self-esteem immensely. I was extremely devastated and didn't want to go to school or talk to anyone. 

One day after getting up from bed, I couldn't breathe. I felt as if I was going to die. I prayed to God to help me and it was then that I decided to make a serious effort to lose weight and become healthy. 

My mom had a workout video called “Sweatin’ to the Oldies” by fitness guru Richard Simmons. It was basically dancing and exercising to great music. It was fun and made me feel good. I read on the internet about healthy eating and devised a menu for myself. 

After checking with my physician, I began to eat well-balanced meals which consisted of more protein, less carbs/fats, and I also counted calories. I completely avoided white bread and sugar. Instead, I ate low cal/carb wheat bread and used Equal. I hated salads before, but now I loved it and dressed it up with fresh veggies and low cal dressing. Diet sodas were permanently replaced by bottles of water. 

The first few months were not easy; I battled the temptation of food and just a short walk on the treadmill made me run out of breath. However, I remained focused on my goal and I worked harder each day. 

I began running one mile with strain, and after 5 months and 50 lbs less, I was running 5 to 7 miles per day. I started doing muscle toning basics and athletic style cardio workouts using videos which had a definite boot camp attitude. 

In 10 months, I was 185 lbs, I had lost 100 lbs. 

It has now become a habit for me to eat healthy and on a timely basis. I do not eat dinner beyond 7:00PM. If I get hungry at night, I have sugar-free, fat-free Jello or an Atkins bar. In addition to running, I love playing basketball, and doing strength and weight conditioning. 

After thirteen months, at 170 lbs, I have lost a total of 115 lbs and maintained my weight.

I understand the plight of teens who suffer from obesity and the emotional and physical strain associated with it. I want to tell them to believe in themselves and do their weight loss regimen a little at a time. Also to never lose faith in themselves or let anyone bring them down by telling them that they can’t do it. Have faith, stay focused, it will take hard work and determination, but the rewards will be great. Thank you, Charles Haines

33 comments:

Suzzy Boleche said...

That is a truly inspiring story, not just for weight loss, but for every aspect of life. It reminds that anything I struggle with I can get over with hard work and determination. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

how wonderful a young man make such a decision on his own. Able to work out a menu planner & be so strick with his diet & exercise. Good on you more teenagers should br aware that their health is very important. Too many young kids of today just eat fatty foods & that weight steadily come on. I too lost 30kg which i lost a few years ago. I originally weigh 97 kg for a 5foot 4 size body. I feel great still excerise & taken up bush walking for a hobby. Keep up the good work. Though temptation is always around the corner. Be strong you look great.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. You are an inspiration not just for teens but to everyone who is battling weight problems. Bravo for being loyal to your healthy lifestyle. God bless you.

Kathy said...

Yeah! I can understand, I have also tried almost everything including diet charts, health plans and a lot more. But nothing worked for me either. All that I didn’t try was a clinic because I didn’t get any. BUT NOW I WILL GO TO THIS CLINIC free consultation about weight loss http://www.calmwm.com/cmwm/contactus.html

whyquantumphysicists said...

What an amazing story, Charles. I was most inspired by your comment about the Richard Simmons video: "...it was fun..." During my weight loss journey (staying at 165 pounds since 1997), I have found that the single most important thing about exercise is for me to enjoy it! Thank you for sharing your story with us and, just for today, I know your freedom will last.

KristyinCali said...

This is such an awesome story of determination and strong will. You have inspired me Charles to work on getting healthy. I will follow some of the same kinds of things you ate with high protein and low fats and carbs. I am 45 and I have 120 lbs to lose but you gave me the will to take care of me. Thank you Charles!

Cathy W said...

Losing weight and changing ingrained eating habits is very hard. This teenager is to be commended for his hard work.

Anonymous said...

10 Weight Loss Tips

These weight loss tips will be most effective for those who gained few additional kilos after an improper diet plan.

1. All dieticians advise to take as many fruits and vegetable as you can. They contain all vitamins, antioxidants and fibers which your body needs. Eating a lot of greens is the most natural and easy way to get rid of some fat and to make your lifestyle healthier.

2. You can eat fresh fruits like a general meal but it will be even better if you will take them between mealtimes. It helps to regulate sugar level and reduce your craving to eat something.

3. Fresh vegetables must be in your each lunch and dinner. Also, do not mix proteins (meat, beans) with starch (potato, pasta) in on meal.

4. Meat must be less that 4 to 5 servings a week. When we say meat, we also mean fish and poultry. There are a lot of very tasty vegetarian dishes too!

5. Start gradually to replace meat with legumes. It can be beans, lentils, peas. Plant protein is very healthy way to change your nutrition for good.

6. Drinking liquids while eating is the worst habit ever! If you feel very thirsty drink something (better just plain water) after 10 minutes.

7. Your daily consumption of calories must be well-balanced. It means that you cannot reduce your meal in a big level. Do everything gradually and also keep in mind that it’s better to have 5 or 6 small light meals throughout the day that to have 3 big meal a day and to starve between them.

8. There are some “hidden” calories that can enormously add up our weight when we are not even aware of it. They are pop, cream, juices with sugar or sugar in our tea or coffee. Try to avoid them, using instead at least 8 glasses of water to balance hydration of our body.

9. Of course, you must exercise in regular basis! Even 30 minutes a day is enough to feel better and give your body nice training.

10. Alcohol must be cut because it is very rich in calories which are very “light” in becoming additional fat. Follow these weight loss tips and be happy!

more tips at

Eddy said...

Quite an interesting story. There are various ways to lose weight. We all have different body composition, if one does not work for you, I guess you can try another. You can check http://loseweighttotally.blogspot.com

If you are determined to lose, be ready to follow instructions and guidlines

Holly J. said...

An amazing inspiring story which I thank you for sharing as anyone, not just children, attempting to lose weight should read. He is only 16 and yet has such a mature attitude to it all. He knuckled down, said he wanted to change made a plan and conquered it. Anyone who is starting a weight lose regime or who feels like they're wavering needs to read this. Well done Charles.

James E. said...

Eating right foods and not starving yourself is the best way to lose weight. Diet plans and programs that allow you to do that and allow you to eat foods you love the most are the best plans and programs you can ever be on.

http://bestwaytolosefatbelly.com/

Karen said...

What an inspiring story... and just what I need to keep me on track in the early days of my diet!

Anonymous said...

Wow this really inspired me, im 14 and weigh 141 pounds, i wear size seven in jeans and want to go down to a size three. My goal weight is 117 pounds. I always start a diet but quit easily. I dont want to be this size anymore, im tired of crying at night and comparing myself to all the skinny girls with great bodies. Im going to loose weight and you have really inspired me. Thank you!!!

Amylynn said...

This story is great and just what I needed to get more confidence in myself. I am 15 and weigh 210 pounds and am 5' 2. Girls and guys at school always avoid me like i have some disease. I know what you mean about wearing large clothes. I wear plus size or maternity clothes I'm disgusted in looking in the mirror. I read this story and felt good and decided im gonna try and be healthy like Charles did. He looks great and i can too if i try. I will follow what he ate and cut out unhealthy things and start walking. You inspired me Charles. Thank you

Matthew Briown said...

I hope for his sake it didn't pile back on again which happens most of the time.

tifffany_keep_going said...

great inspiration;)
thanks

Anonymous said...

Truly inspiring. I will now lose the weight. Thanks

Alan H said...

Wow you are amazing to be so strong and be focused to reach your goal. I know you will maintain your weight Charles. Don't listen to people who like to discourage others by saying you'll put it back on again. You inspire many people and I'm so glad I read your story. Good job young man.

bob said...

Sweet man! I lost 50 pounds through determination at 16, as I have been obese my whole life. Sadly, two years later, I gained it all back plus an additional 30lbs resulting in a grand total of 290lbs. I went through the whole low self esteem thing, and got over it. Sometimes I wish I still hated myself because I'd have a lot more motivation to take the weight off. I'm doing an insanity and p9ox hybrid to get in shape. Funny enough, the only real reason I'm doing it is to bragging rights when I'm stronger than everyone I know. Even odder than that, I'm female haha. Good luck on keeping it off man, you look great!

Jacky said...

Everyone and anyone can lose weight if they have the determination to. It's just that they either give up before reaching their goals, or have too many other commitments at hand Eg. work,school etc.
It thus becomes easier to just 'submit to being fat' than to actually work towards losing the weight.
Don't stay in that zone, step out!
Put in the effort to get up on your feet and go out for a walk.

Ginnyhill@TTC said...

The weight reduction is so extreme one would be inclined to suspect he has had lap band surgery, and from the looks of him he got away without loose skin. Very inspiring story indeed.

Amanda said...

Good for you! I hope you live a long and healthy life. I also hope you inspire some people to follow your good example. Kudos!

Nicolas Segev said...

I loved reading this and feel it is very beneficial to everyone who suffer from weight. I been obese since I was @ 11 and now am 29. I tried pills, liquid diets etc and lost some weight but put them back on. Then I realize it was me to had to put my put down and change my life like this young man Charles did. I cut a lot of bad foods and walk outside. I start losing weight slowly then more. I also lift weights and building muscles. Now I am @ 15 lbs from my goal and feel reborn. So yes like Charles says with lots of hard work and dertermination. I wish I start weight loss when I was teen because it was tough for me be fat in school. I will never be fat like that again. Congratulations you look superb your story is very inspiring to me.

arturs said...

WOW! That's impresive!

Shahid Saleem Butt said...

impressive story. obesity and fatness can be avoided with joint efforts.

NABIL said...

Believe it or not, you can simply wait out a craving. Sometimes we may even mistake a craving for actual hunger. Playing the waiting game will help you distinguish between the two.


http://quickweightlossadvice1.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Great for you! What an inspiring stories for everyone. Have you ever tried replacing atkins bars with Fullbar? Personally I found that Fullbar was better tasting and did more for me in my weight loss journey then Atkins ever did.

Anonymous said...

This story is very inspirational....I am now trying to lose weight and it is very hard but I know I have to dig deep and push hard!!!!

Anonymous said...

Charles, you should be an inspirational speaker at overweight camps!. You seem to be a very caring young man. Congratulations on your incredible transformation.

abasieyo adam said...

Really awesome. Teens are one of the most vulnerable class of people who suffer from the adverse effects of being obese. The physiological effects they go through takes time to heal. But I believe this should be a wake up call for all the adults that are still nonchalant about losing weight.
Common, if a kid can do it, why not you. You got to start from somewhere.
For effective fat loss programs, free weight loss videos, articles and tips, please visit www.fatsolution.net

Anonymous said...

I saw you on on Katie Couric show and in People magazine. You look amazingly fit and you're very handsome! I hope you can be famous and help others but not like that wierdo Richard Simmons. Great job Charles!

Anonymous said...

Wow! He inspires me to work harder to get to my goal of 76.0.
I've been obese since age 6.Now at age 11,height 5.4, and weight 146.6 I am trying to lose weight.Wish me luck.

Dave Al. said...

If anyone is interested, I’ve put together a video debunking 6 common myths about nutrition and getting in shape here: http://www.wisdom-square.com/how-to-lose-weight-and-belly-fat-fast.html

Best of Luck! :)